Accidents happen. A helpful guide to collision reporting.
Mar 2, 2017
As much as we try to avoid them, sometimes accidents happen. If you do find yourself in a fender bender, we want to make sure you ask key questions and record important information. That’s why we’ve created the below fender bender checklist.
After an accident, it is important to first do the following:
- Stay calm.
- If the vehicles are drivable and it is safe to do so, move them safely out of traffic.
- Apply first aid.
- Call the police, and if necessary, an ambulance.
- Take photos of the accident scene if possible.
- Take brief notes and record the following details:
- Time, date, and address of the accident
- Speed of your vehicle as well as the other vehicle involved
- Weather and road conditions
- A description of how the accident happened as well as your vehicle’s damage
- Owner of your vehicle and the vehicle of the third party, as well as both owners’ address and phone number
- Driver of your vehicle and the vehicle of the third party at the time of the accident, as well as both drivers’ address and phone number
- Driver’s license number for you and the third party
- Vehicle plate number for your vehicle and the vehicle of the third party
- Insurance company and policy number for you and the third party
- Vehicle make, model, year and colour of your vehicle and the vehicle of the third party
- Number of passengers in your vehicle as well as the vehicle of the third party
- Name of injured and where they were treated
- Investigating officer information, such as name, phone, badge number and local police detachment
- Witness information, such as name, address, and phone number
Once you are safely away from the accident scene and have time to clearly provide accident details, you can take the following steps:
- Report the claim to your insurance company. If you are insured with Johnson Insurance, you can get started simply by calling 1.844.229.1272. For your convenience, our experienced claims staff is always available 24/7.
- Find a reputable repair firm for your vehicle. Our claims representatives can help Johnson policyholders choose a repair centre for their vehicle. When you choose to have the repairs done at an authorized auto repair centre, we’ll guarantee the repair for as long as you own the car and remain insured with us.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact us.
Find the protection you need on the road with comprehensive coverage options from Johnson Insurance.