8 Home break-in prevention tips
Sep 3, 2017
Break-ins don’t just happen when you’re away on vacation. Even after a typical workday, you could come home to discover your home and your belongings have been tampered with. It’s important to keep your home safe and stop potential intruders in their tracks, which is why we’ve created this easy-to-follow list of tips.
- Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
- Ensure windows are equipped with sash locks—and that you remember to use them.
- Leave some interior lights on when you go out and install automatic timers if you will be away for an extended period of time.
- Install a solid metal jammer that folds up when not in use to keep sliding glass doors from being lifted off their tracks.
- Have adequate exterior lighting. Motion-sensitive lights near grade-level windows or entrances give prowlers nowhere to hide.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Trim trees and shrubs so that they cannot be used as hiding places for intruders.
- Be a good neighbour. If you notice anything suspicious in your neighbourhood, call 911 immediately.
Another helpful idea: Share these tips with your neighbours so that your entire neighbourhood stays safe and secure.
Find the right coverage for you, with a Johnson home insurance policy tailored to your needs.