Tips to keep your home cool
Jun 19, 2018
We might have cold winters in Canada, but we’ve had our fair share of scorcher summers too.
The good news is that there are super simple dos and don’ts to help you make sure your house remains a cool oasis without sending those energy bills skyrocketing.
Take a quick stroll through your house with this guide to make sure you’re all set!
- DO weatherproof your doors and windows. Use adhesive weatherproofing strips to seal air in and light, sheer drapes to help cool your home. If you have an air conditioner, it will thank you for not having to work overtime.
- DO use the right light bulbs. Still have incandescent bulbs in the house? They waste about 90% of their energy in heat. To help cut down on energy use and make things a little cooler, switch them out for CFL bulbs. 1
- DO invest in a high-efficiency air conditioner. Newer units generally work more efficiently, meaning you’ll save money on energy costs. Consider things like size, maintenance options, and programmable thermostats.
- DO clean your air filters. To make sure your air conditioning unit keeps working properly and lasts the years, regularly change your filters to prevent dirt build-up that will block air.
- DON'T forget to set your fans for the summer. The direction your ceiling fan rotates should be changed each season. For the summer, set it to go faster and counter-clockwise. It helps to create a wind-chill breeze effect throughout the house.
- DON’T cover up vents with furniture. Avoid any unnecessary stress on your air conditioner by moving furniture away from vents to keep the air flowing freely.
- DON’T keep the doors closed. Shutting doors throughout your house can trap the hot summer air in smaller spaces like bedrooms. The air will be better able to circulate if doors to bedrooms and bathrooms are left open (just keep your front and back doors shut!).
- DON’T cover outside air conditioners. Make sure to keep your outdoor unit clear of any branches or leaves that could block the air circulation and make your unit work harder than it has to.
The best thing about all these tips? Most can be checked and fixed immediately. No sweating required.
You never know how you’ll react in an emergency. Here’s how…
Find the right coverage for you, with a Johnson home insurance policy tailored to your needs.