Your roadmap to car insurance that's right for you

Car Insurance in New Brunswick

On top of being a legal requirement, getting the right car insurance protects you and your car in case of any emergencies. So, with car insurance through Johnson, we’ll always be by your side, from the Bay of Fundy to the Miramichi.

It all starts with you

Where you live helps determine the insurance you need.

These are the standard car insurance coverages required by law in New Brunswick:

  • Liability

    We’ll protect you if you’re involved in an accident where you’re deemed liable. This includes coverage for damages made to

    another person or vehicle.

  • Uninsured Automobile

    We’ll provide coverage for injury or death caused by an unidentified or uninsured driver.

  • Accident Benefits

    You’ll receive benefits if you’re injured in an accident, no matter who caused it. This includes coverage for income replacement, medical

    expenses, benefits for non-earners, and more.

  • Direct Compensation - Property Damage

    This provides coverage for damage to your vehicle if another person was fully or partly at fault for the accident. Even though someone else

    causes the damage, you collect directly from your insurer.

Insurance that goes the extra kilometre

Choose physical damage coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage

This covers against fire, theft, vandalism, falling objects, windshield damage and other types of damage, not related to a collision.

Collision Coverage

This pays for damage caused by collision with another vehicle or object, or if your car rolls over.

All Perils Coverage

This covers your vehicle by combining Comprehensive and Collision coverages—and best yet, you’ll only pay one deductible.

Go the distance with these add-ons

Loss of Use

If your vehicle is getting repaired due to damage covered under your policy, we’ll get you a replacement or reimburse you for reasonable transportation costs.

Rental Vehicle

This covers damage to vehicles you drive, but don’t own—like a rental car. In some cases, you’ll also get access to other standard coverages.

Depreciation Waiver

A new car's value depreciates quickly. This cover adds value back to your vehicle in the event of a claim.*

Roadside Assistance

Popped tire? Locked out? Need a tow? Give us a call and we’ll get you help.

Enjoy more without paying more

Get these benefits with your car insurance, regardless of the coverages you choose.

24/7 Claims

Whenever you need us, we’ll be here to help. All day, every day.

First Accident Forgiveness

There’s a first time for everything, even accidents. So, when your first accident happens, your premium won’t increase as a result.


You’ll earn 1 AIR MILES® reward mile for every $20 in premium paid, including taxes.±

What affects your rates in New Brunswick

Here’s the insider knowledge on what we look for when determining your premiums.

Your vehicle

We look at your car’s make, model, cost of parts, and claims history to see how likely it is to be involved in an accident or stolen.

Where you live

With more people and vehicles on the road, living in a larger urban area could increase the likelihood of an accident.

How much you drive

Do you commute or drive to different locations for work? Or just now and then for convenience? How often you’re behind the wheel could affect your rates.


Your experience on the road and any previous driving accidents or convictions could affect your rates.

Optional coverage

Any optional coverages you select will affect your rates. We’re happy to work with you to find the coverages that suit your needs best.

Your deductible

The higher the deductibles you choose, the lower your insurance rates are. However, higher deductibles mean you pay more upfront if an accident happens, so it’s important to find the balance that’s right for you.

The changing world of insurance

Beyond your circumstances, there are external factors that affect insurance rates for all Canadians; like the rising number of claims. In general, claims are becoming more frequent and more expensive due to:

  • The rise of extreme weather events and weather-related accidents
  • Lower interest rates making cars more affordable—more cars on the road can lead to more collisions
  • Increased instances of distracted driving, which can also cause collisions
  • Vehicle technology advances increasing the cost of repair and part replacement

Learn more about what affects your car insurance rates on The BlogHouse.

Ready to get a car insurance quote in New Brunswick?

We’ll make it easy. Get your online car insurance quote in just a few minutes.


More than just insurance

We know that our coverage is just the beginning. We'll help answer your questions and give you the tips and tricks you need before getting in the driver's seat.

How to get a level 2 licence in New Brunswick

In order to graduate to a Level 2 licence in New Brunswick, a driver must complete the following1:

  • Completion of Level 1 licence: The driver must pass a written test which covers signage and the rules of the road. They also need to complete a vision test, and have at least 20/40 vision in their best eye.
  • The driver must be at least 16 years of age plus 8 months, or 17 years of age if they have not completed a driver training course.
  • Must successfully pass their Level 2 road test.

Once you’ve got your Level 2 licence in hand, give us a call. We’ll get you set up with an insurance plan that’s right for you.


Have questions? We’re here to answer them

Am I covered when I drive someone else’s car?

Before getting behind someone else’s wheel, you need to know that your insurance does not necessarily follow you as a driver.

When driving someone else’s car, you would be covered under their insurance policy while driving their vehicle, as long as you:

  • Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence. Not from Canada? Travellers from outside Canada can check with the regulatory body of the province they will be driving in.
  • Are using the vehicle with the owner’s permission.
  • Haven’t committed a crime under Canada’s Criminal Code while operating your car.
  • Don’t use the vehicle for one of the uses not allowed in the vehicle owner’s policy (for example, no racing).
  • Are not specifically excluded from driving their vehicle.

If you have an accident while driving someone else’s car, you will need to present proof of insurance. You should make sure that you have this before borrowing the vehicle. If the car's owner doesn't have insurance, there may still be limited coverage under your own policy to protect you, however, not all of your usual coverages are provided. Also, keep in mind that your coverage won’t apply when driving a car owned by someone else in your household.

Why is Third Party Liability so important?

All drivers in Canada are required by law to have a minimum amount of Third Party Liability Coverage.

Third Party Liability Coverage protects you if someone else is seriously injured or dies, or if their property is damaged, caused during the use of your vehicle. It will pay for claims as a result of lawsuits against you up to the limit of your coverage, and will pay the costs associated with settling the claims.

Many claim settlements are in the millions of dollars. Should there be a court settlement against you higher than the liability limit on your policy, the court judgement would then be applied against you and your assets.

Please contact us if you would like to discuss increasing your Third Party Liability Coverage.

How long does an accident stay on my record?

Insurers usually consider accidents for the past six years when setting premiums.

What does Collision coverage provide me?

This covers the cost of damage to your vehicle in a collision or overturning which you're responsible for. It covers single or multiple vehicle collisions. It also covers you if the responsible party is unknown/unidentified. It doesn't cover mechanical breakdown, or wear and tear.

This coverage is optional in most provinces, but if you finance or lease a vehicle, the financial institution may require you have it

Need more information about COVID-19 and your insurance?

We want you to know that we’re still here to support you!

Read more about our COVID-19 relief efforts and get answers to your most common questions through our COVID-19 page.

On The BlogHouse

Read all articles

All you need to know about renting a car in Canada and abroad.

4 min READ ON Travel

The wheels don’t stop turning in winter; make sure you’re prepared to hit the road with our handy tips.

3 min READ ON Car

We reveal what’s fact and fiction when it comes to car insurance.

3 min READ ON Car

Johnson Insurance is a tradename of Johnson Inc. (“Johnson”), a licensed insurance intermediary, and operates as Johnson Insurance Services in BC and Johnson Inc. in MB. Car insurance not available in BC, SK or MB. Home and car insurance not available in NU. Home and car policies primarily underwritten, and claims handled, by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (“RSA”) in Quebec and underwritten exclusively, and claims handled, by Unifund Assurance Company (“Unifund”) in the rest of Canada. Described coverage and benefits applicable only to policies underwritten by Unifund or RSA. Johnson, RSA and Unifund share common ownership. Eligibility requirements, limitations, exclusions or additional costs may apply, and/or may vary by province or territory.


±AIR MILES® Reward Miles awarded only on regular home and auto insurance policies underwritten by Unifund or RSA (in Quebec). At the time the premium is paid, one (1) Mile is awarded for each $20 in premium (including taxes). Miles are not available in SK or MB. In Quebec, up to a maximum of 15 AIR MILES Reward Miles per month, per policy. ®TMTrademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Johnson (for Unifund), and in Quebec Roins Financial Services Limited. READ MORE

*Waiver of Depreciation is only applicable to select vehicles based on qualifying risks.

**Bundled savings applied to home insurance policies where both home and auto policies are underwritten by Unifund.