Let us help make your house a home

Homeowner’s Insurance

Whether it’s your first home or your dream home, buying a house is a huge investment. That’s why it’s important to protect your assets with homeowner’s insurance.

Building the perfect plan for you

The coverage you need

Our coverage options ensure every corner of your home is protected—from your living room to your garden shed. We’ll also put your mind at ease with personal liability insurance and cover for identity theft.

Included in your policy:

  • Comprehensive Coverage

    If your house gets damaged in a way that’s mentioned in your policy, we’ll cover the costs. We’ll also cover your additional living expenses if you have to

    move out temporarily during repairs after an insured loss.

  • Liability

    If someone accidentally gets injured on your property, we’ll help you cover the cost of damages. You can choose between $1 million or $2 million

    in coverage.

  • All-Risk

    With All-Risk, we don’t just cover your house—we’ll also cover your sheds and garages, and more. Coverage is all risk, meaning you will be

    covered for loss or damage other than from perils that are specifically excluded.

  • Specialty Items

    If you have any items in your home that are especially valuable, we’ll cover them. This could include jewellery, art and more.

  • Identity Theft

    Getting your identity stolen could result in financial losses from legal fees, identity restoration fees, and lost wages. So we’ll protect you financially

    for up to $30,000.

Boost your homeowner’s insurance with optional coverages

We can personalize your policy to suit your specific needs; from enhanced water coverage* to special protection for your home business. Browse our additional coverage options below.

Perks that make you feel at home

Enjoy these extra benefits with your house insurance:


Earn 1 AIR MILES® reward mile for every $20 in premium paid, including taxes.±

24/7 Claims

Whenever you need us, we’ll be here to help. All day, every day.

50+ Plan

If you or your spouse are 50+, you could qualify for extra services: nursing, companion, housekeeping after a hospital stay, and home repair referral services.

Ready to get a home insurance quote?

It all starts with your home. You can get a quote on homeowner’s insurance within minutes online. Here’s the information you’ll need:

  • Square footage
  • Address & postal code
  • Age of home
  • Building type
  • Type of heat


More than just homeowner insurance

We know that our coverage is just the beginning. We'll help answer your questions and give you the tips and tricks you need to protect your home.

How to prepare for the unexpected

Homeownership comes with many responsibilities, and ensuring your home is capable of withstanding significant weather events is one of them. It’s important to know the risks present in your area and take reasonable measures to prevent or avoid them wherever possible.

Snow & Ice Storms

For homeowners in Canada, cold temperatures, heavy snowfall and ice build-ups pose significant risks. Frozen pipes, water leaks and roof damage can easily occur if preparations are not made before the temperatures drop. Lack of preparation can lead to unexpected and costly repairs.

In order to prevent damage from snow and ice, it’s important to understand your home’s vulnerabilities. Roof collapse, roof or ice dams, and frozen pipes are the most common threats to homes during extreme winter weather. It is important to understand how to mitigate these risks, so make sure your roof, eavestroughs and pipes are always prepared for the cold snowy weather. If you’re not sure what to look for, a home inspector can help identify risks, offer up insights and provide solutions before disaster strikes.

In order to prevent damage from snow and ice, it’s important to understand your home’s vulnerabilities. Roof collapse, roof or ice dams, and frozen pipes are the most common threats to homes during extreme winter weather. It is important to understand how to mitigate these risks, so make sure your roof, eavestroughs and pipes are always prepared for the cold snowy weather. If you’re not sure what to look for, a home inspector can help identify risks, offer up insights and provide solutions before disaster strikes.

Severe Wind

As the global climate continues to evolve, factors like tornadoes and severe winds are becoming a more common threat to Canadians and their homes. For most homes, the common areas of impact are the roof, exterior walls and windows. It is important to understand where your home is susceptible to wind damage and what you can do to prevent it. Some simple steps you can take include removing debris from your yard, keeping eavestrough and household drains free of blockage, and that there are no dead or damaged branches on trees near your home.

In the event of high winds or tornados, damage can be caused by the force of moving air and flying debris. For this reason, it’s wise to find a home inspector who is familiar with your area and can recommend preventative measures. Ensuring that your home’s roofing, doors and siding are rated for severe winds and impacts is a great starting point, but there are several other factors to consider depending on where you live.


High winds, unpredictable weather and rapid snow melt-offs can lead to unexpected flooding. It’s becoming increasingly important to know and understand the flood risks in your area and how your home may be affected. For this reason, it’s always best to be prepared for the unexpected and have an emergency plan in the event a flash flood strikes.

Getting to know your home and how to protect it can go a long way to saving time, money and frustrations down the road. Start by knowing what to do in the event of a flood—avoid touching electronic outlets, devices or appliances—and know-how to manage flood waters and sewage backups. Ensure you have a well-stocked and up-to-date emergency kit, an emergency plan and preparations for power outages.  Also, know how to clean up after a flood and what your insurance plan covers.

Have questions? We're here to answer them

Who and what is covered under my home insurance policy?

A home insurance policy usually includes your property (building, outbuildings and contents) and liability covers for the insured, including:

  • You and your spouse
  • Any person under 21 in your care
  • Your relatives and your spouse's relatives
  • Dependents living away from home temporarily to attend school, college or university
What is a by-law coverage?

Building code and zoning law changes don't usually apply to existing buildings. However, if you suffer loss or damage to your dwelling, you may have to rebuild to current standards.

This coverage provides protection for new by-laws that would increase the cost of rebuilding or repairing your dwelling following an insured loss.

Although this coverage comes standard with some property policies, increased limits are available. Please connect with us to ensure that you have adequate coverage to protect you and your family.

What is the difference between Comprehensive and Broad Homeowners coverage?

Comprehensive coverage is just that—comprehensive. You get the most extensive level of contents protection and coverage is all-risk, so you’re covered for almost all instances of damage and loss (except for those perils specifically excluded on your policy).

Broad homeowners also includes all-risk coverage however, the coverage for your personal property is less extensive and specific to certain types of loss or damage, as listed on your policy.

We can help you choose the right coverage for your needs, just contact our friendly service specialists for more information.

What do coverages for Voluntary Medical and Property Damage include?

Voluntary Medical Payments coverage pays reasonable medical expenses in the year after an accident when you unintentionally injure another person or if they are accidentally injured on your property—even though you are not legally liable.

Voluntary Property Damage Payments coverage covers unintentional direct loss or damage you cause to somebody's property—even though you are not legally liable. It can also cover loss or damage to someone else’s property caused intentionally by a minor child (12 years of age or under) in your care.

You don't have to be legally liable to use either of these coverage options, and there is no deductible.

Need more information about COVID-19 and your insurance?

We want you to know that we’re still here to support you!

Read more about our COVID-19 relief efforts and get answers to your most common questions through our COVID-19 page.

On The BlogHouse

Read all articles

You’ve had your Pinterest board prepped for months, but did you know you may need to speak to your insurer before renovating? Here’s what you should know.

2 min READ ON Home

We explore the 5 most common types of water damage and how you can prevent them.

4 min READ ON Home

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a big difference. These small measures will help you save big in the long-term.

3 min READ ON Home

Visit Johnson Assurance - Quebec for plans available in QC.


Johnson Insurance is a tradename of Johnson Inc. (“JI”), a licensed insurance intermediary, and operates as Johnson Insurance Services in British Columbia and Johnson Inc. in Manitoba. Home and car policies underwritten, and claims handled, by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (“RSA”) in Quebec and underwritten exclusively, and claims handled, by Unifund Assurance Company (“UAC”) in the rest of Canada. Described coverage and benefits applicable only to policies underwritten by UAC. Car insurance not available in BC, SK or MB. Home and car insurance not available in NU.  JI, RSA and UAC share common ownership. Eligibility requirements, limitations, exclusions or additional costs may apply, and/or may vary by province or territory.


*Enhanced water coverage not available in Saskatchewan, Yukon and Northwest Territories.


**MEDOC® is a Registered Trademark of JI. This insurance product is underwritten by RSA and administered by JI. Valid provincial or territorial health plan coverage required.  The eligibility requirements, terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions which apply to the described coverage are as set out in the policy. Policy wordings prevail.


±AIR MILES® Reward Miles awarded only on regular home and car insurance policies underwritten by UAC. At the time the premium is paid, one (1) Mile is awarded for each $20 in premium (including taxes). Miles are not available in SK or MB. ®Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Johnson (for UAC).